Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New Creations

The sting of cold metal and I have never been the same since.

"Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NASB)

I appreciate the NASB's translation of this: a new creature. There is something primal about that which, to me, seems to reflect just how deep the change goes. I try to be wary of my sentimental tendencies but there was something tangible that took place when she slid the steel ring upon my barren yet anxious finger. And I have utter conviction that this was a moment "in Christ," there doing what the Christ does best.

While shadows of the old life flicker, there is still transformation breaking through, like the determined sapling cracking through the frosted ground. We both commented as we drove back through town for the first time, it is really a different town altogether now, even if the buildings and the faces all look the same. It is, indeed, something new. Newer than I could have dreamed.

Another line. I wonder what happened to this poor place.

Waves massaged the aching shore.
Clouds bruised the skies.
Rain wrinkled the surface of the water
while the city burned.

No comments: